Sunday 8 May 2011

Two points of view by Alba Ruiz (Spain)

TWO POINTS OF VIEW

I wake up, it’s half past six and it’s a sunny day. I have a shower and then I go to prepare some coffee.
I read the newspaper, “There are a lot of unemployed”. It’s my case too.
I look at the clock; it’s a quarter past seven.
I go upstairs and I open the door of my daughter’s room. Marian is sleeping. I try to wake her up, she ignores me. I insist because she has to go to school.
First, she opens one eye, then the other one; she looks at me and she looks angry.
“Why are you annoying me?” she said.
“You have to leave in a quarter, do you remember?” I say seriously.
Finally, she goes to dress up. Maybe she hates me, but I’m her father and these are the cards we were dealt.
I sit down on the sofa. Marian thinks I’m boring, I understand her; but I don’t care.
When I was young I thought the same about my parents. They were always telling me I had to study, “You must study now you can” they told me again and again.
I obeyed them and I did the Journalism degree. Therefore I got job early, but now I have lost everything. So I can’t imagine my daughter’s future. Will she be able to get a job?
Marian doesn’t want to study, she thinks that when she finishes the secondary school, she will find a job, but what kind of job will she find without more studies than the Secondary School Graduate?
I stand up and I go to open the fridge. It’s almost empty but I’m not surprised. I’m going to take a juice but the phone rings. I take it.
Suddenly, the happiness invades me. The call is from a journalism agency. They’ve seen my curriculum and they want to interview me.
Maybe things can start to change...
......
I’m really tired; my father has waken me up. He is so irritating since he is unemployed. After we argue, I dress up and then I go to school.
My father thinks that I’m irresponsible and that I don’t think about my future. He is wrong.
Maybe it isn’t the best idea but I don’t want to spend more money in studies, because I’m not a clever person so the money will be wasted.
My father insists that I must study, but if I keep on studying, what degree will I do? I can’t choose my future if I'm only sixteen years old, I’m too young to decide what I will probably do the rest of my life. Perhaps I can work in a shop or in a supermarket.
The day at school is entertaining. Although I’m not brilliant, I don’t dislike studying.
My teacher talks about the future. It looks as if all the people want to talk about this. But her words make me think and, for the first time in a long of time, I consider again the fact of studying.
The only thing that could stop me is money, so I ask it to my teacher.
The teacher tells me that there are scholarships for people who aren’t able to pay the studies.
I’m so happy, I want to be at home and explain it to my father, he will be joyful.
Now I’m optimist. Maybe things can start to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment